Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Ozark

"The Byrdes and their teenage kids, Charlotte and Jonah, are, for all intents and purposes, an ordinary family with ordinary lives. Except for the job of Marty, a Chicago financial advisor who also serves as the top money launderer for the second largest drug cartel in Mexico. When things go awry, Marty must uproot his family from the skyscrapers of Chicago and relocate to the lazy lake region of the Missouri Ozarks."
Netflix's short description, while it can't possible contain every possible aspect of the story, it is pretty much straightforward. For me, it's definitely my favorite new crime series of 2017, and definitely among my all-time top 5. It reminded me of several other series I've loved over the years: Breaking Bad in the aspect of finding oneself in impossible life choices that just obligate you to take some kind of desperate action, Justified in the aspect of finding about a US local area unknown to me before (the Missouri Ozarks in this case). There are several other personal references that could be added here, but the point is that Ozark is a must-see all through its 10-part first season. It's the first time for me to enjoy Jason Bateman in a dramatic role, and the guy is just incredible, while the rest of the cast and production does a remarkable job as well.
This is one of these series that no moment is boring and keeps you on your toes with every development, while every character is well-thought-for and handled in an exemplary manner. I wouldn't want to give away anything about the whole plot, I just need to compel you to watch this. You'll thank me later.

No comments:

Post a Comment