Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Low Dose - s/t (2019)

Among the flood of new bands and releases in the music underground, and after you dust off all the inevitable crap and mediocre stuff, there are always diamonds to be found. Low Dose from Philadelphia, PA are normally anything other than my cup of tea genre-wise, but when the songs are good, well that's kind of universal. Low Dose are the new child that has apparently risen from the ashes of two other bands from the Philadelphia punk/ grunge/ noise scene, Fight Amp and Legendary Divorce (both of which I discovered lately and you should check out), the former having offered some top class noise/punk, while the latter having moved mainly within the post-grunge area. Low Dose's self-titled debut, which is due to be released on March 29, sounds like an ideal amalgam of all the aforementioned musical terminology, at least judging from the three preview tracks we can stream for now. I was never a fan of grunge (my favourite Seattle bands are Zeke and Mudhoney), but Low Dose make me discard that easily, listening to Itarya Rosenberg's melodic and powerful voice meddling perfectly with the heavy noisy grungy punk beneath. I have yet to listen to the whole record when it's out, but something tells me we have an explosive debut here, and a must to be considered for this year's list.

No comments:

Post a Comment